Roxie’s Recipes (for the Lazy Cook)
As promised last week, here is the recipe for tomato soup that goes great as an accompaniment to a classic grilled cheese sandwich. I like to make soups in a crockpot whenever I can, as soups always seem to taste better to me when they have a chance to simmer slowly and give the flavors time to deepen.
- 6 cups tomato juice
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- ¼ cup cooking sherry
- 6 tbs sugar
- 1-½ cups heavy cream
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes, crushed
- ½ cup fresh parsley, chopped*
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped*
- 1 cup onion, finely diced
- 4 tbs butter
- pepper to taste
- Turn your crockpot to the high setting and add the butter. Once it is thoroughly melted, add the onions and allow to simmer until they turn translucent.
- Next, add your tomato juice and diced tomatoes. To combat the acidity of the tomatoes, gradually add sugar, stirring and tasting until you get a nice smooth flavor. I wound up using 4 tablespoons of sugar with this one.
- I use a mortar and pestle to ground the bouillon cubes into a fine powder. Add this, and pepper to taste.
- Turn the crockpot down to low, and add the cream and the cooking sherry. I prefer to crush my fresh herbs to release the flavor, but that’s just my personal preference. Add the parsley and basil and stir well.
- Simmer on low until heated all the way through, stirring regularly.
Now, Sunday at 9pm, tune your radio to KNVC 95.1 FM Carson City – or if you’re not in range, you can pull it up on their website: https://knvc.org. If you happen to miss it for some reason, they will re-air it next Friday at 8pm.
Need to catch up on previous episodes? You can now catch Secrets of Harridge House on https://www.imdb.com! Or go to https://anchor.fm/harridgehouse or your favorite podcast provider to stream previous episodes from Season 1 and Season 2.