Roxie’s Recipes (for the Lazy Cook)
The Harridge Post & Prospector recently forwarded to me an anonymous letter asking for my recipe for ginger cookies with strawberry cream cheese frosting. I am happy to share, but please don’t be shy about who you are – I like to get to know my readers. I haven’t made this since our guests arrived because of Drew & Cate’s allergy to strawberries, but I suppose I could either skip the strawberries, or perhaps substitute another kind of fruit. I do hope Cate is okay, wherever she is….
- ½ cup butter, softened
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2-¼ cups flour
- 1 tps baking soda
- 2 tps ginger
- 1 tps cinnamon
- ½ tps ground cloves
- pinch of salt
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter, softened
- 1-½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 large strawberries
- Preheat your over to 350˚ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter with the sugars. Add the egg, molasses, and a couple of tablespoons of water and mix well. Mix the dry ingredients together separately.
- Combine the dry ingredients with the wet and mix until all dough ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Transfer the dough to your lightly floured working surface. Add a bit of flour to your hands and form the dough into balls roughly 1” in diameter. Add some sugar to a small bowl and roll each of the balls in the sugar to coat, then transfer to your prepared baking sheet. Flatten the center of the ball with your fingers as you place them on the sheet.
- Bake the cookies until they start to turn golden brown – usually about 8-10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Blend together the ingredients for your strawberry cream cheese frosting. Once the cookies are completely cooled, dip each cookie halfway in the frosting to coat, then transfer to parchment paper. Place the cookies in the refrigerator so the frosting can harden a bit, then transfer to your container and serve right away. Otherwise, you can serve the cookies with the frosting on the side and let everyone dip their own as they enjoy the cookies.
Now, Sunday at 9pm, tune your radio to KNVC 95.1 FM Carson City – or if you’re not in range, you can pull it up on their website: https://knvc.org. If you happen to miss it for some reason, they will re-air it next Friday at 8pm.
Need to catch up on previous episodes? Go to https://anchor.fm/harridgehouse or your favorite podcast provider to stream previous episodes from Season 1 and Season 2.